Welcome to Vitalus’ documentation!¶
|Generated:||December 24, 2016|
Vitalus is a rsync wrapper. Rsync is a good atomic tool, but it needs to be wrapped to have a real backup solution. Backup solutions are generally too basic or very difficult. This one fits my needs.
- I want to centralize my backup in a unique script to achieve many tasks.
- I want to backup my desktop on external disks.
- I want to backup external disks to other external disks.
- I want to backup my /home/user on hosts accessible via ssh to a local disk.
- I want to backup my destop to hosts accessible via ssh.
- I want to keep increment if I need it.
- I want to adjust the frequency of copies for each task. The script starts much more frequently.
- I want readable log files telling me if everything goes fine.
This is just another way to express the philosophy :)
- Manage different tasks
- rsync from and to local disks
- rsync from SSH to local disk
- rsync from local to SSH almost supported
- Check disk space (local disks)
- Keep track of time evolution (increments done with hard links), not possible via SSH for the moment.
- Old increments deleted (keeping a minimal amount of increments)
- Rotated logs (general + one per task)
How to setup?¶
In my use case, I have a cron job running every hour. IMHO, this is quite atomic. Then, the script decides which task has to be done.